Sunday 2 August 2009

Korean Yoga

So I have been taking a yoga class for about a month here now. Yoga in Korea is different than the Yoga I was taught in America. Maybe I was taught wrong or maybe it is just different, who knows. Anyways, so my yoga class is at the gym within walking distance from my class. I go three times a week and my Korean co-teacher takes it with me. I haven't got to go in a week since I have been sick so I am looking forward to today's class. The breathing was a difference to me in yoga. I was taught that in Yoga, you are supposed to sound like Yoda when you breathe. Yet I made the noise while breathing and my teacher tolkd me not to. My teacher can speak a little bit of English luckily. In class he uses no english so most of the time I look over at my neighbor or he comes and places my body in the positions that he wants me to be in. All the people in my class are older than me- two of them look to be at least 60 or 70 years old. The oldest lady in there is probally the most flexible. Everytime I look at her, her legs are over her head or she is doing something that my body completley refuses to do. I don't know any American's her age that can do what she can do. Or any people my own age for that matter! Yoga here is just as soothing as at home. The positions are different and there is no mantra or namastae (if I spelled that right) as there is at home. The word that gets said often is mescal. I don't know what it really means but I have figured out if he says mescal, it is time to switch positions! The people in my class can not understand me so every once in awhile the teacher will ask me the new Korean words I have learned. Last time I replied- Pay go paw (which means I'm hungry) and the whole class laughed at me. To them I am just the little foreigner (weiggoogan) that is attempting to do Korean yoga with them. The more I have gone to class the more flexible I have gotten and the less that the teacher has to put me in a body position. I think that the repetiveness of the words allows me to figure out what position I should be in next. Anyways, the class is a lot of fun and I am very glad that I have been able to experience an Asian yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment